Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lisa Hannigan Live in Vicar St, Dublin - December 3rd, 2009


Musically, Lisa Hannigan is about the complete opposite from Yes. Barely a week later after seeing them I was treated to the perfect week for a Thursday evening. I discovered Lisa a while back through her work with Damian Rice but I became a big fan after the release of her Mercury Price nominated album See Saw. I don't know the full story behind the break up with Mr Rice, but nothing in the set made reference to her musical past. Having seen him opening for Leonard Cohen and then Lisa's show earlier this week. I am firmly on Lisa's camp.

The set started with a fantastic version of Pistachio, and was made up of most of Lisa's debut album. She complimented it with a couple of covers and she was brave enough to play 3 or 4 new songs. For me the highlights of show where "I don't know", "Teeth", "Lille" and the closing song, which was a fantastic version of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus".

The simplicity of Lisa's music accompanies her voice perfectly. The beauty of the arrangements and the energy and happiness of the musicians made for an incredible gig. I imagined myself going back to Vicar St to see her over and over again for the next 20 years as the memories build up of her incredible music.

Setlist:
  • Pistachio
  • Sea song
  • Blurry
  • Ocean and a rock
  • My Pirate disco
  • Braille
  • Venn diagram
  • Courting blues
  • Passenger
  • I don't know
  • Just like tom thumb
  • Couldn't love you more
  • Teeth
  • A Sail
  • Lille

  • Blow the wind southerly
  • Keep it all
  • Personal Jesus
Lisa's live picture is from kDamos's flickr Lisa Hannigan Live Set.





No comments: