Monday, June 9, 2008

REO Speedwagon Live in Dublin - July 8th 2008

After something like 18 years, I went to my second REO Speedwagon gig. The first one was when I was in college back in 1990. It was 5 years after they had had their huge hit with Can't Fight this Feeling. Back in the mid 80's I would have listened to their albums all day long. My vinyl copy of Good Trouble was completely worn down by the time I bought the CD. The gig yesterday brought back so many memories, and I enjoyed (and sang... if you can call that singing) every minute of it.

The guys aren't young anymore. KC is now in his late 50's, and although they gave it all, he is not jumping up and down the stage any more as he used to and the show was very intense, but only lasted 90 minutes.

REO's lineup hasn't changed much since that concert back in 1990 just before the release of the album "The Earth, a Small Man, His Dog and a Chicken". Which was the first album that featured Dave Amato and Bryan Hitt, except on that tour, they had a second keyboard player (Jesse Harms, better known for playing with Sammy Hagar).

The gig was at the Olympia Theatre, incidentally, this is the same venue where R.E.M. tested their new material for Accelerate with a series of "secret" gigs. It started just before 9:00 PM with the usual Don't Let Him Go. The place was about 90% full and everybody there went absolutely mad screaming and shouting... singing every song. The usual suspects made their appearence, but they sang a couple of songs that I didn't expect: Son of a Poor Man (from Ridin ' the Storm Out) and That Ain't Love (from Life as We Know It).

All in all, it was a really enjoyable gig. Lots of energy, and happy fans singing and enjoying themselves. People left the venue chanting Keep on Lovin' you at the top of their voices!!!

Here is the Setlist:

Don’t Let Him Go
Take it On The Run
Keep Pushin’
Find Your Own Way Home
That Ain't Love
Tough Guys
Can't Fight this Feeling
Dangerous Combination
Son of a Poor Man
I Needed to Fall (The set list I got from the stage had Smilin' (Audible), which was changed)
Time For Me To Fly (KC's 12 string ovation failed, he had to drop the guitar!)
Back on the Road Again
Keep on Loving You
Roll With The Changes

encore
Ridin’ The Storm Out

The setlist from stage also had 157 (Riverside Avenue), but they didn't play it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review, decided not to go to this as I was going to see them at the Arrow Rock Festival in Nijmegen, Holland last Sunday. Again, I really enjoyed their set, much more than I thought I would, thought the band were excellent and had energy belying their years....great band to cheer you up I think - hope they return to Ireland in the cold cold Winter when we need cheering up :-) Stevo

C. said...

Thanks for the comment Stevo... was the show the same in Holland? When KC stood up to do his solo piece it looked for a moment that he was going to play an older son, but then he backed out and played the new song "I needed to fall"